From algorithms to privacy – and everything in between – the social media landscape is continuously changing. And keeping up with the latest can be tough. To help ease the burden, we’ve created a monthly recap of the most significant social media updates.
Here are the top 5 stories This Month in Social Media: November 2019 edition.
- Instagram Stories Launches TikTok Clone Reels in Brazil – In an effort to fight back against Chinese social rival TikTok, Instagram Reels centers on 15-second shareable videos that can be soundtracked by music, with the potential to go viral on a new Top Reels section of Explore.
- Instagram Announces Global Expansion of Hidden Like Counts Test – Instagram expands its testing of hidden like counts to a global scale after positive feedback from initial testing in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Japan & New Zealand. According to CEO Adam Mosseri, the test is designed to “depressurize Instagram for young people”.
- Snapchat’s Discover Tab Extends Ads up to 3 Minutes – Extended Play Commercials can run as long as three minutes after showing six seconds on non-skippable video. New expanded ad formats come as the company seeks to increase its appeal among major advertisers, many of which have avoided placing ads on the platform, as a recent study suggested.
- TikTok Confirms It’s Testing Shoppable Videos – The app already features shoppable ads within the platform, but this would mark the ByteDance-owned app’s first foray into social commerce where users shop for products directly from influencers within the app.
- Study: Microinfluencer Opportunity ‘Massive’ as Gen Z, Millennials Organically Promote Favorite Brands – 61% of Gen Z and millennials report they’re likely to share the brands they enjoy online without getting paid to do so.
Struggling to navigate the ever-evolving social media landscape? We’re here to help! Reach out to us for your social media needs.